Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Resurrection. Constructed in 1925-26 in the Gothic Ecclesiastical style. Architects: Scroggs and Ewing of Augusta. Contractors: Claussen-Lawrence Construction Company of Augusta. Lutherans first organized themselves as a German speaking congregation in Augusta during the 1850s and the original 1860 church building, Saint Matthew’s, still stands at 548 Walker Street. Holy Trinity English Lutheran Church was founded in the 1880s by the second generation that wanted a service in English. Its 1889 building In 1921 Saint Matthew’s and Holy Trinity merged soon erecting this edifice to serve the expanding Lutheran flock in Augusta. The parish hall and Sunday school building on the east side was added in 1954. Note the limestone exterior, an unusual building material in Augusta and the surrounding area. As of 2019, the congregation is creating a new fellowship hall on the premises to replace the old one.