Originally known as the Shirley Hotel, this was built in 1916 and proclaimed “Augusta’s first modern apartment building.” After the devastating fire that destroyed much of the residential area east of downtown Augusta in March 1916, this type of development was much in demand. The architect was G. Lloyd Preacher of Augusta and Atlanta. After a decline, it was rehabilitated in the 1980s and renamed the Cobb House after the original principal investor, Ty Cobb, world renowned baseball great who lived in Augusta. The apartment house was originally named for his daughter, Shirley.