Built in 1859 for the City of Augusta by Robert J. Bowe, contractor. It originally housed the Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company and Washington Fire Company Number 1, which was a water hose unit. Volunteer fire companies originally provided protection for the city, and also served as a type of social club for the men who were members. Volunteer fire halls similar to this one were strategically located throughout the city. The city sold the building in 1909 and it has been used for various commercial purposes since that time.