Built in 1960 as Augusta’s first purpose-built main library, it was designed by the Augusta architects H. Lowrey Stulb and William D. Eve of the architectural firm of Eve and Stulb. Contractors: Claussen and Webster, Augusta. The building has a reinforced concrete frame with a masonry and marble exterior. The foundation rests on piles driven 32 feet into the ground. Augusta has had some type of library since the 1750s, brought by the first Anglican clergyman from England. The present library traces its origins to the founding of the Young Men’s Library Association in 1848. This building replaced the 1890 federal government building that originally houses the post office and federal courts, and was used as the Augusta City Hall before the Municipal Building was completed in 1958.