John Fox, an early Augusta merchant, purchased this corner lot of one acre in 1799 and erected several buildings on it before his death in 1837. This building is the last still standing. Typical of antebellum buildings on Broad Street, it had two commercial spaces on the street level, and residential space above accessed by a hallway and stairs in the center. Note the cast iron columns that frame the fa├žade, and the lintels above the windows with the elliptical circle design.