Built circa 1835 for an early Augusta merchant prince. The Phinizy family lived here until 1933. John’s son, Col. Charles H. Phinizy, and his wife, Mary Lou Yancey Phinizy, employed Tiffany & Company of New York to redecorate the interior in about 1885, including stained glass, parquet floors and tooled leather wall covering. Converted briefly into a funeral parlor in 1933, it was the home of the Elk’s Club until 1996. More recently it has been known as the Hatcher Center, an events facility. The house is a fine example of Greek Revival architecture, possibly designed by Charles B. Cluskey, Irish born architect who drew the plans for the Old Medical College building on Telfair Street, and the Old Governor’s Mansion in Milledgeville, Georgia. Notable are the very correct Doric portico with curved steps that flank either side. Also note the lintels over the windows with three elliptical circles incorporated into the design. The fourth floor was added as a ballroom in the 1890s, and was used by the Elk’s Club as its lodge.