Built in 1801 as the Richmond County Courthouse by contractor, Lindsey Coleman. Sold in 1821 to Samuel Hale, merchant and mayor of Augusta, as a private residence. Subsequently owned by several prominent families who transformed it from a Federal style courthouse into and elegant Regency style mansion. The iron portico was added in the 1850s. In 1987 it was acquired by the city, and was subsequently rehabilitated as an events facility. NR