Built between 1898 and 1900 as the Church of the Most Sacred Heart, this magnificent Romanesque Revival masterpiece was designed by Brother Cornelius Otten, a Jesuit priest who was a talented architect, and based largely on the design of Sacred Heart Church in Galveston, Texas, which he had assisted architect Nicholas Clayton in designing just a few years earlier. General contractor: William F. Bowe. Brick contractors: Charles Rounds and John C. Hagler. This served as a Catholic parish until 1971 when it was closed by the Diocese of Savannah. After years of efforts to preserve it, it was restored by the Knox Foundation between 1985 and 1987 and now serves as a cultural center.