Organized in 1855 as Augusta’s second in-town Methodist congregation, the building was constructed in 1856 through the efforts of members of Saint John Methodist Church who lived in the lower part of the city. An enlargement which included the present handsome façade was completed in 1886 in the Gothic Revival style, designed by the Augusta architectural firm of MacMurphy and Story, with T. O. Brown as the contractor.