The mother church of Augusta Methodism, this congregation was founded in 1798, and built its first building, known as Asbury Chapel, on this site in 1801. That building was moved to Reynolds Street by 1844 and is still in existence as part of Springfield Baptist Church, now the oldest church building in Augusta. After it was moved, the first part of the existing building on this site was constructed in 1842-44, with William Henry Goodrich of Augusta as architect and builder. The church was remodeled in 1893 adding the present Romanesque Revival façade, designed by Augusta architect Lewis Ford Goodrich, son of the original architect. The original Sunday School annex and lecture room behind the church was added in 1905-06, and designed by Augusta architect Charles Choate.