The 1100 Block of Broad Street was developed in the mid to late 19th century with small shops and residences. It was originally an integrated block, many of the business owners being African-American. The block was assembled by James S. Wingfield of Richmond County in 1912 and the existing buildings were razed between 1915 and 1917. While the first-floor commercial spaces were occupied by many businesses such as a shoemaker, wholesale grocer, and dry good store, the upper levels were residential. The block was sold to Walter W. McElmurray in 1927 for $62,500. A rehabilitation of the building was completed in 1995.