Built in 1891 to house the flourishing building materials business of Russian immigrant David Slusky, the original structure sustained severe damage in 1931, when the neighboring building at 1021 Broad was gutted by fire and collapsed. The firm of David Slusky and Son temporarily relocated their business until the completion of rebuilding efforts in June 1932. The \”new\” Slusky building, designed by architect Wills Irvin, was executed in the Art Deco style, with a facade of white glazed terracotta, and Vermont marble accented by satin bronze. There was space on the first floor for three retail establishments, and a separate warehouse at the rear of the property housed the Slusky business. Construction was overseen by foreman Hansford Anderson Jr., son of the foreman responsible for the construction of the original Slusky building. In a 1932 article commemorating the building\’s completion, Anderson commended the exceptional work of the three African American stone setters who placed all of the facade\’s terracotta and marble. Twice in the past fifteen years the building has garnered a preservation award from Historic Augusta, first in 1995 and again in 2008 with the most recent rehabilitation by building contractor R.W. Allen and Associates. The recent rehabilitation transformed the Slusky Building into the firm\’s corporate headquarters, and unearthed some forgotten building history as well, including Mr. Slusky\’s secret wall vault and the original facade lettering.