The Mrs. T. R. Maxwell Building at 1246-1248 Broad Street was built in 1907. The building was designed by Augusta architect Lewis Ford Goodrich and the contract was given to McKenzie and De Leon. The Maxwell Buildings originally consisted of several addresses including 1246, 1248, 1248 1/2, 1250, and 1252. City directory research indicates that the J. G. Loan company first occupied 1248 Broad Street in 1907. Steady occupation of the properties is reflected by the entries in the early 20th century including Dr. O. B. Salley, the Eubanks Brothers Furniture company, and the R. L. Sumerau & Son Motorcycle company from 1925 to 1954. In addition to the businesses on the first floor, there were 14 total boarding rooms available at 1246 and 1248 1/2 advertised for $30.00 in 1916 through the Augusta Chronicle newspaper. The building was rehabilitated into first floor commercial space and second and third floor loft apartments.