Founded in 1783 shortly after the American Revolution, the Academy of Richmond County has remained as Augusta’s flagship school since then, and is considered the oldest school in Georgia. In 1802, the school relocated to this building that is well known on Telfair. For the next 125 years the building remained home of the Academy. Designed by Richard Clarke, the building was originally a brick Federal Design. By 1856, the building was updated by William H. Goodrich to become the Tudor-Gothic Revival we see today. Goodrich added the design features like crenellated parapets, drip moldings, a cast-iron colonnade, and Tudor arches. During the Civil War the building was repurposed into a hospital. Following the Civil War the Academy reopened in 1868 and remained until 1927. In 1928 the building became the home of the Young Men’s Library Association for a few years. By 1933 the Augusta Museum moved into the second floor and eventually would take over the whole building until the 1990s. In 2012 the building housed the offices of a non-profit. Today the building is vacant and needs new occupants to preserve its historic status. There is a proposal for a new Georgia Military Museum, but that concept is challenged by insufficient funding.